Dan Reel’s brother Tony and late father, Louie, opened Reel’s Auto Sales in 1999. Two years later, he became a salesman at the store following his service in the U.S. Army. Reel became a 50-percent owner in the store after his father passed away in 2008.
Today, he serves as co-owner and vice president of the Orwell, Ohio dealership.
“What I enjoy the most about the business is being able to provide an opportunity for my staff to personally and professionally grow, the ability to give back to the community in any way possible and to constantly learn new methods to operate our business,” he said.
When asked what is he most proud of in his career, Reel said: “The answer to this can be lengthy but to sum it up, I would have to say the community support I receive, family support, becoming an NIADA Certified Master Dealer in 2009, becoming a board member of both the OIADA and NIADA, being president of the OIADA, winning the Ohio Quality Dealer of the year 2016 and placing first runner-up for National Quality Dealer of the year in 2016.”
As far as people he admires professionally, Reel shared a handful:
- The late former OIADA executive director Jim Mitchell: “Jim saw potential in me to become a member of the OIADA board of directors in 2009, and that opened so many doors for me personally and professionally.”
- Longtime OIADA board member Jeff Rader, a friend “who guided me professionally by teaching me how to do so many things in the car business.”
- Former Northwood University professor and current NIADA director of dealer development Joe Lescota: “Joe was my instructor for the NIADA CMD program in 2009, and since then, we have become friends and I consider him to be one of my best industry advisors.”
- Oxford, Ala., dealer Henry Mullinax: “Henry is a leader among the NIADA and a great motivator of mine. Henry also is the chairman of the NIADA legislative committee which I am a member of.
- “Every dealer in the industry that I’ve met and has had some impact on me.”
Dan Reel, 37, is the owner and vice president of Reel’s Auto Sales.